South Korea: The Church of the Nazarene Korea National District held the Nazarene Pastors Conference on 23-25 October 2023 at Hanwha Resort in Pyeongchang. About 250 pastors gathered for fellowship, worship, connecting, and learning about the Church of the Nazarene. The theme of the conference hopes to help the pastors respond to the question from others, “Why should one specifically choose to go to the Church of the Nazarene?”
The three-day gathering is spent with worship, prayer, lectures from various speakers, and fellowship with each other.
The roster of speakers includes:
- Dr. Moon-ki Yoon (Korea National District Superintendent. He welcomed all the pastors and guests. He shared, “I hope this meeting will be a time when our hearts warm up, our hands gain strength, our eyes open, our mouths open, our ears open, and our feet walk again.” He also shared a lecture on “Rise, Nazarene Church.”
- Pastor Jinwang Lee, head of the Pastoral Research Department, preached at the opening service about “Traces of Jesus” (Galatians 6:17). He urged the Nazarene pastors, who are called in this era, to cry and weep until one member of a church who is marginalized and struggling can smile.
- Dr. Floyd Cunningham (Professor, Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary). He gave two lectures – Historical Identity of the Church of the Nazarene and Theological Identity of the Church of the Nazarene. He emphasized that the Church of the Nazarene was established 115 years ago as a holiness denomination. And as Nazarenes, we should resemble Christ in all nations as a means of grace. He challenged all the pastors to become Christlike disciples by loving their neighbors.
- Dr. Choi Doo Hyeon (Assistant Professor at Korea Nazarene University) shared about the Practical Identity of the Church of the Nazarene. He emphasized the importance of studying the Manual, which provides guidelines for Nazarene-like worship and practical holiness. He shared that evangelism and compassionate ministry should go together.
- Pastor Kim Sung-jin (Director of the Pastoal Consulting Research Institute) talked about healthy Korean churches.
- Pastor Hyun Myeong Park (KND Website Developer) shared how to use and maximize the website in ministry.
- Pastor Eun Yup Kim (Pastor of Waterside Tree Church) shared the Core Values of the Church of the Nazarene.
- Pastor Se-Kwang Ahn (Pastor of Pyeongtaek Church) discussed “The Role of the Assistant Pastor.”
- Pastor Taek-Gon Lee (Anjung Church) shared the Preaching Speech.
- Pastor Chan-yang Lee (Pastor of Wooden Cross Church) and Pastor Ho-Kyung Kwak led the morning prayer times.
- Pastor Chang-Seon Hwang and Pastor Seong-Min Nam discussed “NYI History and Ministry.”
- Dr. Bit-nae Choi gave a lecture on Gender Awareness.
The conference culminated with a time of worship. The pastors appreciated the time together with other pastors to share family love, and to be spiritually and physically refreshed and renewed. The District is grateful to all who helped put together this event.