La Trinidad Benguet, Philippines: Church of the Nazarene Philippines held an intergenerational Pastors’ Kids (PK) National Summit last 7-11 July 2022 with the theme “Breakfree.” Around 300 PKs and pastors, ages 4 to 56 years old from Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao participated in the event.
Holistic Child Development Ministry, led by Rev. Jackson Natividad, spearheaded the planning and organizing of this summit. This gathering hopes to cater to every age group’s needs as they serve their local church and help their parents in the ministry. It also aims to address the various challenges that PKs experience in their personal lives and ministry. It is also time to hear the stories of senior PK and learn how their testimonies can be patterns of best practices in the church and communities. And finally, this summit will become a launching pad for the 21st-century generation of PK ministries and small-step projects.
The week-long activities include workshops and plenary sessions, which pastors’ kids also led. The organizers did a co-facilitation strategy in these sessions for the participants to gain perspectives from the younger and older generation of PK.
The topics covered during the plenary sessions were:
- Pastors Kids and the Generation Next with Rev. Sam Galino and Rev. Jem Mortega
- PK Mindset and the PK Unique Call with Rev. Cryz Colorado & Ptr. Joshua Colorado
- The Importance of Growing Up with Someone (Journey of Grace with Someone) with Ms. Ernalyn Longcop – Fausto and Ms. Rachel Ann Piliin
- Embracing and Discipling the PK Children in the Midst with Ptr. Marlene Fontanilla & Ms. Leah Mae Open – Alquizar
- Discipling Christlike PKs for Leadership with Rev. Elsid Paragas, Engr. Nathan Fausto, Ms. Angel Villagonza, Mr. Bong Elardo
- PK Resilience and the Holy Fire with Rev. Sharon Angeles – Punsalan, Ptr. John Wayne Barabona, and Israel Piolo
The various workshops help prepare the PKs to cope with the different challenges they are experiencing. Some of the workshops include:
- Creative Ministries and the Pastors’ Kids
- Ministries to Children
- Developing Emerging Leaders
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Needs
- Gender Identity and Development
- Mission and Ministry Support
- Pastoring the Pastors’ Kids and PK’s Expectations
The summit culminated with a commissioning service led by Rev. Arnel Piliin, Philippines-Micronesia Field Strategy Coordinator. Rev. Piliin challenged every pastor’s kid to be an active participant in the Great Commission. Also, during the service, the senior PKs, District Superintendents, pastors, and church leaders present did the passing of the baton and passing of the towel to the next/younger generation of PKs and leaders. This ceremony symbolized the solidarity of becoming a family and being united in God’s calling within the PK community.
“I had a life-changing experience at the PK Summit. I felt incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to attend this event, connect with other PKs, and build friendships. I wasn’t aware of the privilege of having a pastor for a parent when I was younger. But now, I finally understand and appreciate the calling to be a Pastor’s kid, and I’m proud to be a Pastor’s kid.” – Jumela
Though the PK summit ended, the vision to minister to the Pastors Kids community continues. Holistic Child Development ministry envisions a holistic ministry and community for the PKs to support, equip and mentor them so that they will grow as Christlike disciples and leaders in the community or local church where they serve. This same community will also ensure that someone will be praying, guiding, and rallying with each PK in every phase of their life.