Southeast Asia: April is a special month in Thailand because of the Songkran Festival- the country’s New Year celebration. This also marks the New Year in most South Asia and Southeast Asian countries. Here at Southeast Asia Nazarene Bible College (SEANBC) however, we decided to celebrate things differently.
During the Sonkgran break, the Myanmar campus offered a class on the Introduction to the New Testament. This is part of Bangkok’s extension program headed by Professor Peter Lalpek Mawia. The program is very unique because it is intended to train and educate lay and bi-vocational pastors in reaching the Burmese for Christ in Thailand. The class had 14 students, with varying educational levels, ages and genders all having one thing in common: their heart for Christ!
More than an opportunity for learning, the class also paved the way for changed lives. During the class, four students expressed their desire to follow Christ and to be baptized. Dr. Bill Kwon officiated the special baptism service. After baptism, Win Win, one of the candidates, testified to be a disciple of Christ to begin her ministry in Bangkok. She is now actively engaged in house church planting. It is such a blessing to have a leader with a vision to reach the immigrant population for the Lord.
Get ATR Newsletter directly in Your Inbox
In Myanmar, the Songkran Festival is also special for salvation camps. This is a time for inviting non-believers through evangelism and the teaching of basic Christian beliefs. Nazarene churches are also actively engaged in offering salvation camps in Yangon and other parts of Myanmar. Through these efforts many new souls are saved for the Lord.
Thank you to everyone for your prayers, and please continue to pray for the following:
- Anointing of the Holy Spirit among the Bible college students and disciples.
- More workers for the harvest field.
- New house churches where we started with new disciples.
- The Kwon’s home assignment in South Korea (June 8 – July 27, 2016).
- Tahan zone strategic planning meeting (April 26 – 29, 2016).
- SEANBC Myanmar Campus Faculty Workshop (May 2 – 6, 2016).
- Making 200 disciples and 200 churches among Myanmar people.
– Submitted by: Bill & Mill Kwon